Tuesday, June 30, 2009

When the mouse ate the cat

The Confederation Cup run was very special for the United States

Anyone that knows me knows that I am not a very patriotic person, usually drawing on my Italian roots before anything else. I prefer being like the ancient Romans and having two home towns -- the town where you were born and Rome (whatever that is so cool and I'm still going to do that).

This tournament has changed the way I follow international soccer. Even at the beginning of this tourny I routed for Italy over the United States, but not any more. I will still route for Italy but United States will always trump if they ever play each other. Italy has won before, but the game is much more then that, it is a religion. Now it's our time to win and for the game to grow here in the States.

Watching the Game in a Toronto bar full of Spanish and Brazilian supports with maybe one or so fellow Americans, these game were a source of pride. No one there respected us and whether they do or not, we have now earned it.

This is only the second time i have been proud to call myself and amercian, the first was Obama getting elected and the second was the USA great showing in the Confed Cup, and i hope for many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment